Thursday, November 17, 2011

How to Make Outlook for Mac Download Pictures Automatically


As many of my readers already know, I recently got a new Macbook Pro when I started my new job. This was great because I really needed a new computer anyway and this is a really nice one. The problem I realized as soon as I opened the box is that I haven't used a mac since sometime around 6th grade in the school library. Generally, I am quite good with computers and when using my PC, there were not many things that I could not figure out how to do. This is not true on my new mac. So, as I discover how to do things on this wonderful little machine, I will be posting the instructions so that other people might not have to figure it out the hard way.

The first topic is how to get Outlook for Mac to download pictures within messages:
1. Open Outlook 2011.
2. Go to the Menu at the top of the screen, click Outlook and select Preferences.
3. In the E-mail section, select Reading.
4. Go to the Security section and select either the In all messages radio button, or if you want a little more security, select the In messages from my contacts radio button.

1 comment:

  1. Apparently some sort of security compromise exists in automatic download of pictures; I think the server can either see your IP or your email address, or both, when you open the mail and it fetches the pictures. I hardly care anymore, it's such a nuisance to manually download pictures, given that so many emails put ALL content in their images. I feel embarrassed putting Microsoft software on my MAC. It's like starting a fire from kindling and twigs to light a cigarette in one's car. Microsoft will cease do exist, one day. Perhaps not in my lifetime, but eventually it will happen. They're a dying organization. Where's their cell phone? Where's their tablet? They're going down!

    ReplyDelete